Skip to content

Historic Harris County Courthouse Restored

by Suzanne Daniluk, RN on August 24th, 2011

Houston may not be known for its historic building preservation, but the old civil courthouse near Preston and Fannin streets downtown has been undergoing renovation since 2009 and is now set to re-open on September 6, 2011. The restored courthouse, originally built in 1910, will house the 1st and 14th Courts of Appeals, which are actually returning. Both courts previously occupied the building until moving into South Texas College of Law in 1984.

A Texas Historic Landmark, it is the fifth courthouse to occupy the same site since 1838, undergoing several incarnations since the time it had horse watering troughs and no air-conditioning. The complete gutting of the building in the 1950’s removed many of its original architectural features, including a center rotunda, ornate plaster detailing, and pink Texas granite. Now, 100 years later, the former turn-of-the-century style beauty has returned.

To view additional photos of the renovated courthouse, click here.

Share and Enjoy:
  • Twitter
  • Facebook
  • Google Buzz
  • LinkedIn
  • Google Bookmarks
  • email

From → Misc.