Answers to Nursing Quiz:
1. The minimum requirement to become a registered nurse in the U.S. is:
B. Bachelor’s degree
C. Associate’s degree
D. Master’s degree
Answer: C – An associate’s degree in nursing (ADN) is currently the minimum required RN education, although it may change to a bachelor’s degree in the future.
2. The percentage of male nurses in the U.S. is:
Answer: C – About 10% of nurses in the U.S. are male. However, their numbers are higher in speciality areas. For example, about 40% of nurse-anesthetists are male.
3. More nurses go on to medical school than to graduate-level nursing programs. True or false?
Answer: False – About 100 times more nurses continue on to graduate-level nursing programs than to medical school.
4. Nurses are responsible for coordinating care of which of the following providers:
A. Social workers
B. X-ray technicians
C. Physical therapists
D. All of the above
E. None of the above
Answer: D – All of the above.
5. Wal-Mart employees have a higher turnover rate than nurses. True or false?
Answer: True – The turnover rate for nurses is about 16%, with a 44% turnover rate for Wal-Mart employees, which is typical in retail.
6. Which of the following is outside the scope of nursing practice?
A. Drawing blood for lab work
B. Emergency department triage
C. Ordering x-rays
D. Physical assessment
E. Removing sutures
Answer: C – Ordering x-rays, except for advanced-practice nurses; otherwise, all are nursing duties. Removing sutures can be done with a physician’s order.
7. Nurses, not doctors, supervise nurses. True or false?
Answer: True – Only nurses are the boss of other nurses.
Bonus question – You know you’re a nurse if:
A. You wash your hands before using the restroom.
B. You tuck in your sheet corners like they do in the hospital.
C. You check out other customers’ veins in grocery store lines.
D. You can only tell time with a 24-hour clock.
E. Discussing bodily fluids over a gourmet meal seems perfectly normal to you.
F. Any and/or all of the above.
Answer: F – Happy Nurses’ Week!